Since it was Mother's Day weekend and Mom was joining us for brunch, I did a search through thousands of recipes that are stored in a software program in my laptop and came across a recipe for Creme Brulee French Toast that my friend Woodie shared with me. Not sure why I waited so long to use the recipe, since I always knew it would be a winner. But I'm glad I waited for a special occasion. I topped mine with blackberries, and dusted with confectioners sugar.
I adore these plates that I bought at TJ Maxx, just perfect for Mother's Day brunch. The little flowers were perfect for the occasion.
CRÈME BRULEE FRENCH TOAST
(Courtesy of Arthur Schwartz, WOR Radio)
1 Stick Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
8-10 inch round country loaf, or
1 pound French bread or 1 Challah
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Melt butter, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over moderate heat. Pour into 9 X 13pan.
2. Slice bread into 6 slices and place on top of the sauce in the 9 X 13 pan, press together to fit.
3. Whisk together eggs, half and half, Vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt. Pour over bread.
4. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, until puffy and brown.
Thanks for stopping by!